Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sorry about Not Being Online...

It's been a little crazy the last week. My dad passed away last Friday and then my cousin's wife was taken seriously ill (she's 6 months pregnant), so I've had my mind elsewhere. She's doing better and the baby is fine....so we're keeping her in our prayers but things are looking up.

I've been craving comfort food since all the confusion has started, so I thought I'd share one of my old time favorites with you. Nothing imaginative here nothing at all, but it's simple and tasty, and I think it's a far cry better than the recipe on the mushroom soup can.

Quick and Easy Chicken and Rice

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed
Seasoned salt
Black pepper
Olive oil
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (buy the store brand for sauces and casseroles; it's just fine)
1 cup rice
2 cups water with 2 chicken boullion cubes added
OR
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (salt free variety)

Heat olive oil in heavy skillet. Add chicken breasts and brown over medium heat until golden. Season breasts with the seasoned salt and pepper, and add the can of condensed soup. Stir it around a bit to get it distributed. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Meanwhile, mix water and boullion (or chicken broth) in a large saucepan. Heat to boiling. Add rice and poultry seasoning. Return to boil, reduce heat to LOW and simmer until all the water is absorbed (about 15 - 20 minutes.....about 40 - 45 for brown rice).

To serve, place a bed of rice on the plate, add a bit of the mushroom sauce, and place a chicken breast on top. Very easy and comforting food.

No comments:

Post a Comment